Saturday 10 March 2007

South by South West

It's been two very busy days at South by South West Film Festival. Austin is buzzing right now, and that's saying something for a town that has a natural inclination to buzz either way. Friday morning myself and Chris got ourselves registered, I made a silly smiley face when staff took my picture for my badge as I have a habit of doing. First up, Disturbria party. Free booze, chips, salsa and Guacamole. You know how I lov my Guac.

Me and Chris decide to skip Disturbia and instead head straight to the festival opening screening of The Lookout. In the queue for the film we meet the lovely people from Spout.com who kindly by us a round of drinks while we wait. I think they took pity on my freelance status. Either that or they just know that freelancers don't tend to pick up the tab. We also meet the makers of the documentary film Lost in Woonsocket, some really nice people with what sounds like a great film - but more on that later.

Scott Frank, the screenwriter behind Out Of Sight, is making his directorial debut with The Lookout, which stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Brick), Jeff Daniels and Isla Fisher (yep, her of Home And Away fame). The film is about a Chris who has memory problems following a serious car accident as a high school senior in which two of his friends die. Think Memento. Gordon-Levitt's character, Chris, gets himself mixed up with the wrong crowd who rope him into helping them rob the bank at which he works. Unfortunately all that follows is highly predictable. The film was decidedly average, although Gordon-Levitt does demonstrate once again why he is an actor to keeps your eyes firmly fixed on.

Afterwards we head to the opening night party, at which Paul Rudd appears to be the main attraction. Ok, in actual fact the main attraction is a very attractive blonde who I spy very early on. Later, once sufficiently intoxicated I manage to get her number, which is nothing short of a miracle.

Saturday: A busy day slowed by the hefty weight of the hangover I'm nursing. First up is a press conference for The Lookout which I decide to head to without Chris who is off watching some other films. I wish I was with him The press conference is a nightmare heightened by the fact there are hardly any journalists there other than me, who has to ask the majority of the questions, all made up on the spot, starring at the cast and director through extremely bloodshot eyes. Nice one Scott.

After that I head to the Conversation with Richard Linklater event, which I must say is largely by the numbers. Though I do now know that he is working on a new script about his freshman year at college - 'Dazed and Confused goes to college', we are told.

By now it's nearly 4pm and I haven't seen a film so decide to sack of food shopping and head to the Paramount theatre for a screening of The Ten. As it turns out this film of ten parts, each relating to one commandment, is extremely funny. At times pushing the line of good taste so far that your not sure if the filmmakers are destined for hell, before pulling you back in with brilliant wit and razor sharp humour. I really enjoyed this one, not only that, but it the second time I see Paul Rudd in as many days.

Afterwards I meet up with Chris and we head back to the Paramount to watch Manufacturing Dissent. I tell you right now, this film is gonna cos some waves in documentary filmmaking. It is essentially an expose of Michael Moore by left wing filmmakers. Nothing in the film surprised me, though it did leave me shocked. Shocked and disappointed. Moore comes across as incredibly hypocritical, entirely insincere, and ultimately maniacal by the end of the film. When this one gets a distributor and hits the UK it is not to be missed.

Sorry these passed blogs have been a little dull, I've been so busy and done so much that I'm really on a stream of consciousness kick to get it down. Tomorrow's will be better I promise. Oh, and I'll get lots of pics up soon

No comments: