Thursday 14 June 2007

Lords of the dance

No sooner was I elated to rediscover some childhood heroes this morning then they were tragically taken away from me again. The London Boys - Edem Ephraim and Dennis Fuller - had their short-lived fame back in 1989 with three hit singles, 'London Nights' and 'Requiem' which both went to no. 2 in the UK singles chart, and 'Harlem Desire' which reached no. 17. All these tracks came from the brilliantly titled The Twelve Commandments of Dance...

Why so tragic? Well it would seem Edem and Dennis died in a car crash in Austria back in 1996 and the music world was robbed forever of their hopelessly upbeat dance tunes and moves that would put Kid and Play to shame. Seriously I don't think I've ever seen anyone have more fun performing than these guys either, camping it up like you only could in the 80s - just check out those midriff bearing t-shirts, classic.

I now know where I stole all my dance floor moves from (honestly, anyone who has seen me will testify) and my taste for baggy pants. I'm gutted anyway. It's so strange too because stumbling across them has rekindled so many memories, I know I had the album and I remember seeing them being interviewed all over the shop, showing off their dance moves. I can almost taste that time in my life so strong is the sensation.

If you want to read more about them do it here.

Otherwise, enjoy a couple of brilliant videos, and for those who remember enjoy the memories. Rest in peace London Boys.



1 comment:

:) said...

[I've entered the fray.
Huzzah!]

I have never heard of this group before.
London Boys, sounds like a group I should have heard of - I mean their name does comprise, like, 2 of my favourite things ever - I'm off to do some youtube trawling.